Solicitor - Rural Land and Business
To provide high-quality legal advice and support services to our clients in the Rural Sector. To assist the firm in achieving its stated professional and commercial objectives.
- Meeting and interviewing clients to establish the firm’s suitability to provide the necessary advice and services.
- Explaining the firms fees to clients
- Taking clients’ instructions
- Advising clients on legal issues
- Perform tasks relating to the rural sector i.e. dealing with sale and purchases, security work, wayleaves and servitudes, renewable energy contracts/options and leases, agricultural tenancies, partnership agreements, succession planning etc.
- Report to client.
- Working in a team within the firm, referring files to the head of unit as appropriate.
- Delegating work to junior and trainee solicitors, paralegals and legal secretaries as appropriate.
- Making cross referrals to colleagues.
- Liaising with surveyors, land agents, financial institutions, builders etc.
- Undertaking necessary administration, e.g., completing time recording so that charges for work can be calculated, billing clients for work completed on their behalf.
- Taking referrals from other firms of solicitors when a conflict of interest arises, or if they have no specialist practitioner available.
- Keeping up to date with developments in rural law and practice.
- Keep CPD records up to date and comply with the compulsory CPD requirements.
- Adhere to Blackadders policies and procedures and Law Society of Scotland Regulations, including Money Laundering, Time Recording, Fee Earner Posting, Data Security, Client Charter etc.
- To ensure that Safe Working Practices are adhered to, in accordance with Health and Safety Legislation and Blackadders LLP.
- To work and behave in a professional manner and within the highest ethical and other standards of the profession.
- Comply with procedures set out in the office procedures manual, professional standards and any requirement set by the Law Society of Scotland.
- To ensure monetary transactions are dealt with efficiently and in accordance with Anti Money Laundering regulations.
- To maintain the strictest standards of client confidentiality at all times.
Performance Measured By:
- Conducting matters on behalf of clients to their satisfaction.
- Careful file management and the keeping of detailed contemporaneous attendance notes of all work done on behalf of our clients.
- Compliance with time recording requirements and reaching financial targets.
- Knowledge and use of conveyancing laws and procedures.
- Efficiency in dealing with work and accuracy of work produced.
- Ability to work with initiative; maintaining a flexible and responsible approach.
- Personal development and contribution to the overall objectives of the firm.
- Good attendance and timekeeping.
There may be the requirement to perform duties other than those given in the job description for the post. The particular duties and responsibilities attached to posts may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations would not of themselves justify the re-evaluation of a post. In cases, however, where a permanent and substantial change in the nature of the duties and responsibilities of a post occurs consistent with a higher level of responsibility, then the post would be eligible for re-evaluation.
Job Title: Solicitor (NQ upwards)
Date: September 2018
Unit: Rural Land and Business
Responsible to: Head of Property
No agencies please.