10th February 2014

Birth Certificate Ploy Could Rebound on Corrie Bad Girl

One of the most gripping storylines currently running in Coronation Street  revolves around the battle between the short-fused former policewoman, Kirsty, and her battered boyfriend, Tyrone, over custody of their newborn daughter, Ruby.

Having been subjected to domestic violence for a number of months, Tyrone's desire for a parting of the ways has been thwarted following Kirsty's decision not to put his name on Ruby's birth certificate.

Although the story is set in England, any father resident in Scotland would face a dilemma similar to that of Tyrone. Prior to the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006, an unmarried father did not have parental rights and responsibilities in relation to his child. This changed for children born after 4 May 2006, provided the unmarried father was named on the birth certificate, which gave him the same parental rights and responsibilities as the mother. Unfortunately, the change in the law does not give a 'Tartan Tyrone' automatic parental rights and responsibilities.

It is possible for an unmarried father to obtain parental rights and responsibilities by agreement with the mother. The agreement is in a statutory form that can be downloaded from the Scottish Government website. Both parents sign the document and it is then registered for preservation for the future. Unfortunately, many couples who could enter such an agreement when they are together do not do so and the absence of parental rights and responsibilities for the father only becomes an issue if the couple separate. By that stage, the mother is unlikely to sign an agreement and sadly more often than not, the father has to seek an order from court.

Yet despite his absence from the birth certificate, things are not as bleak as they might seem for Tyrone. It is possible to apply to court in Scotland for an order called a 'declarator of parentage' if the mother denies paternity; in other words the court is shown to be satisfied that the man claiming to be the child's father is more likely than not what he says he is.

An unmarried father can also seek parental rights and responsibilities along with permission to see the child, known as a contact order. The legislation specifically requires the court to consider the impact of domestic abuse on the child so 'Kirsty' - whether in soapland or real life - might not be in as strong a position as she thinks.

Jennifer Gallagher
Partner - Family Law



The opinions expressed in this site are of the author(s) only and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Blackadders LLP.

Blackadders takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the content of this site is accurate and up to date. The site is not, however, intended as a substitute for seeking legal or other professional advice but rather as an informative guide to the services provided by Blackadders and topical legal developments. Site visitors should always seek advice tailored to their specific situation. Consequently, Blackadders accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage suffered by anyone acting or failing to act on the basis of information contained on this site. Downloading of material contained on this site is at the user’s own risk and all necessary virus checks must first be carried out by the user. Blackadders is not responsible for the material found on any web sites linked to this one and links to this site may only be made with Blackadders prior consent.


Blackadders owns the copyright in this blog and all material contained on it. The material on this site may be downloaded for personal use only and must not be altered. Otherwise, Blackadders’ written consent is required before any material on this site is reproduced, copied or transmitted in any way.

Privacy Statement

Information passed to us via this site is kept confidential and will not be disclosed to third parties except if authorised by you or required by law.

© Blackadders LLP 2021

Members of the Law Society of Scotland.

Blackadders Solicitors is a trading name of Blackadders LLP, a limited liability partnership, registered in Scotland No SO301600 whose registered office is 30 & 34 Reform Street, Dundee, DD1 1RJ. Reference to a ‘partner’ is to a member of Blackadders LLP.

Back to News & Legal Updates