10th February 2014

Uninsured Drivers

According to the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (Acpos), uninsured drivers are responsible for around 160 fatalities and 23,000 injuries every year in the UK, costing the taxpayer some £500 million. These shocking statistics not only highlight what a danger uninsured drivers are to our roads, but also reveal just how much of a financial burden they impose on other road users.

If you have been one of people unfortunate enough to have been injured by an uninsured driver, you will understandably be feeling angry and upset about the damage you have been caused. You may also have concerns that you will not be able to make a claim as you would in after an 'ordinary' road traffic accident. However, you need not worry: if you have been injured in an accident that was not your fault, you will be perfectly entitled to claim compensation for the pain, suffering and vehicle damage you have sustained.

Claiming against an uninsured driver

Nevertheless, the process of claiming against an uninsured driver does differ slightly to that of other road accident claims. This is because you will not be able to take your claim directly to the other driver's insurance company; instead, you must take your claim through the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB).

The MIB was established in 1946 to ensure those injured by uninsured and untraced drivers were able to recover the compensation they were legally entitled to. The uninsured driver's agreement therefore guarantees that even if you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, you can make a claim.

If you find yourself in this position, you should try to take as many details as possible at the time of the accident. For example, the other driver's name, registration number, contact number and details of any witnesses. Once you have sought medical attention, be sure to report to accident to your insurance company. If the other driver is found not to have a valid insurance policy, you should also inform the police, as it is a criminal offence to drive without insurance.

If the accident was not your fault and you have suffered personal injury, you should not delay in contacting a solicitor who is able to deal with uninsured driver claims. A legal expert will be able to suggest whether or not you are in a position to make a claim. If you are, they will be able to manage the process for you, submitting a claim to the MIB on your behalf and working to obtain the compensation you deserve.

Personal Injury Lawyers in Dundee and Edinburgh

Anyone who is injured by an uninsured driver needs expert legal assistance from a personal injury lawyer. If you are looking for a professional service you can rely on, contact us today at Blackadders.

Simply call us for a free assessment immediately on 01382 229 222 (Dundee) or 0131 222 8000 (Edinburgh) or complete the enquiry form on the right of this page and we will be delighted to help you.



The opinions expressed in this site are of the author(s) only and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Blackadders LLP.

Blackadders takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the content of this site is accurate and up to date. The site is not, however, intended as a substitute for seeking legal or other professional advice but rather as an informative guide to the services provided by Blackadders and topical legal developments. Site visitors should always seek advice tailored to their specific situation. Consequently, Blackadders accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage suffered by anyone acting or failing to act on the basis of information contained on this site. Downloading of material contained on this site is at the user’s own risk and all necessary virus checks must first be carried out by the user. Blackadders is not responsible for the material found on any web sites linked to this one and links to this site may only be made with Blackadders prior consent.


Blackadders owns the copyright in this blog and all material contained on it. The material on this site may be downloaded for personal use only and must not be altered. Otherwise, Blackadders’ written consent is required before any material on this site is reproduced, copied or transmitted in any way.

Privacy Statement

Information passed to us via this site is kept confidential and will not be disclosed to third parties except if authorised by you or required by law.

© Blackadders LLP 2021

Members of the Law Society of Scotland.

Blackadders Solicitors is a trading name of Blackadders LLP, a limited liability partnership, registered in Scotland No SO301600 whose registered office is 30 & 34 Reform Street, Dundee, DD1 1RJ. Reference to a ‘partner’ is to a member of Blackadders LLP.

Back to News & Legal Updates