Partner, Family Law
Since qualifying in 1994, Gareth has been involved in dealing with civil Court matters and dispute work. His focus is fully now on dealing with family law cases. He regularly advises clients on financial provision on divorce and financial claims arising out of relationships of cohabitation, as well as issues relating to children, including the area of adoption and permanency orders. He has advised on cases involving a cross-border element, and regularly assists clients seeking to relocate with children.
- In recent years, Gareth has successfully litigated a number of cases relating to (i) the relocation of children of separated parents, and (ii) financial claims arising out of relationships of cohabitation.
- Gareth has been appointed by Aberdeen Sheriff Court on a number of occasions to prepare reports in unresolved child cases.
- Gareth is a collaborative family lawyer and is a strong advocate for resolving family matters without resort to litigation. In the event that litigation is necessary, Gareth has a wealth of experience having appeared in courts in the North East of Scotland throughout his career.
- His experience has led him to be involved in a number of high-value cases, including in the Court of Session.
- He has also been involved in arguing appeals to the Sheriff Principal in cases relating to children.
- Accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in Family Law and Child Law
- Gareth has tutored the civil court practice module of the Diploma in Legal Practice at Aberdeen University, having previously held a similar role in the private client module of the same post-graduate course at the Robert Gordon University.