Partner, Private Client
A Partner within the Private Client team, John has considerable experience of complex Private Client and Succession planning matters. He can offer advice on a broad range of Scots law and his primary areas of practice are Guardianships, Executries, Trusts, Wills and Powers of Attorney.
In particular, John prepares bespoke Wills for clients to ensure their assets are protected and estates are dealt with efficiently and lawfully. He also deals with all aspects of the Executry process and can guide clients and their families through the difficult process of administering estates after death.
John also assists a wide range of clients through the process of obtaining a Guardianship Order for vulnerable or incapacitated relatives. He is passionate in assisting clients who may have family members with very specific needs and who are unable to manage their own affairs. John regularly represents clients in Guardianship hearings in Sheriff Courts across the country.
John can also offer advice to the families of vulnerable individuals on how best to provide for those family members by safeguarding their inheritance on an ongoing basis after the death of a parent or carer. He advises clients in preventing and resolving problems caused by incapacity, whether that be proactively or reactively.
He has a growing interest in Mental Health and Incapacity Law.
- Providing Incapacity Planning advice to clients to prevent, or resolve, problems caused through a loss of capability.
- Representing the families of incapacitated adults in the appointment of Welfare and Financial Guardians in the Sheriff Courts.
- Advising clients on the best ways to mitigate their Inheritance Tax liability and minimising care home fees that may fall payable from their estate.
- Preparing bespoke Wills to ensure estates are dealt with competently and in line with client’s wishes.
- Advising clients through the difficult process of administering the estate of a family member.
- Advising clients on the use of Trusts and how they can utilise this relationship to assist with Inheritance Tax planning and asset protection.