John Mitchell is a Partner with 35 years' experience of litigation and now specialises in handling family and commercial disputes in and out of court. John was managing partner of the well-respected firm of McKay Norwell WS when it merged with Blackadders in June 2012.
John is known for his down to earth manner and pragmatic approach. This puts clients at ease when discussing difficult family or business issues, and contributes to achieving an advantageous outcome. As well as applying his extensive legal knowledge, John is focused on resolving disputes in a practical and economic way. He is a member of the Family Law Association.
- Negotiating fair financial settlements between estranged spouses, avoiding unnecessary acrimony and encouraging parties to co-operate in the interest of any children
- Representing clients in relation to all manner of divorce proceedings in the Sheriff Court and the Court of Session involving significant values of matrimonial property
- Negotiating and securing a recall of awards of sequestration made against a variety of individuals
- Advising and representing clients in relation to all manner of contractual disputes both in court and in arbitration
- Representing clients in the Commercial Court in the Court of Session
- Troubleshooting for clients in all manner of apparently intractable disputes