Managing Partner, Private Client
Johnston is Managing Partner of Blackadders LLP and Head of the Private Client Group. He trained with the firm and has been a partner for more than 30 years. Clients consult him on their sensitive family and succession matters for his practical and pragmatic approach. He is a full member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners and sits on the Professional Practice and Client Protection Committees of the Law Society of Scotland. He uses this knowledge and experience in his practice representing solicitors with regulatory complaints against them and is a director of the Legal Defence Union.
Johnston is a member of the Chartered Institute of Securities & Investment and Chief Executive of sister LLP, Blackadders Wealth Management LLP, one of Scotland’s leading solicitor owned wealth management businesses, and manages the finances, back office and Board function of two important Scottish privately funded charities.
Testimonial from Blackadders Client: “Thank you very much for all you have done for this case, it has been a pleasure to deal with such an expert.”
- Former Dean of the Faculty of Procurators and Solicitors in Dundee.
- Director 2002-2009 of the Association of Solicitors and Investment Managers.
- Director, Dundee City Developments Ltd, a public/private partnership.
- Solicitor and back-office service provider to two multi-million pound charities and trusts.
- Creative user of succession laws and trusts to protect and preserve wealth in families.
- Winner of the 'Managing Partner of the Year Award' at the Scottish Legal Awards 2019
- Ranked in the Legal 500 2018 as a Recommended Lawyer
- Full member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
- Sits on Professional Practice and Client Protection Committees of the Law Society of Scotland
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Securities & Investment
- Director of the Legal Defence Union