Associate Solicitor, Private Client
Karen is an Associate in our Private Client team and has experience in all aspects of private client law including wills, powers of attorney, establishing and administering trusts, administering estates following a death, inheritance tax and care fees.
Karen graduated from Glasgow University with a first class honours degree in private law. Following her traineeship with a large corporate firm in Glasgow, Karen chose to work with a national charity for people with learning disabilities as a solicitor and trustee manager.
She retains a keen interest in and understanding of the issues affecting those with impaired capacity and disabilities, their families and unpaid carers. As a result of this interest, Karen established a pro bono legal clinic at a local Carers Centre. From small beginnings, Karen has overseen the growth of this to seven Carers Centres where members of the Private Client team provide unpaid carers with legal advice on all aspects of their caring role in an accessible way. Her commitment to unpaid carers led to Karen being invited to join the Scotland Committee of the national charity Carers Trust.
Whilst retaining her approachable manner, Karen also provides technical legal advice to other solicitors on wills, trusts and estates, particularly personal injury trusts, trusts for vulnerable beneficiaries, complex estate planning and administration.
Karen regularly provides training and speaks at conferences on wills, powers of attorney, guardianships and care fee. She prides herself on presenting complex legal issues in a straightforward way.
- Administered the multi-million-pound estate of a UK national with assets in multiple countries including obtaining foreign probate, repatriating assets, negotiating with HMRC and advising the family on personal lifetime planning
- Advised the family a business owner to vary the estate to minimise inheritance tax resulting in substantial inheritance tax savings and advised the family on lifetime planning to minimise inheritance and capital gains tax
- Successfully reclaimed over £40,000 of care home fees for a client
- Established a personal injury trust and care fees advice service for a national personal injury practice
- Full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (currently waiting on renewal)
- Notary Public
- Member of the Scotland Committee of Carers Trust