Director, Private Client
Stewart is a Director and Writer to the Signet with over eight years of experience and also a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners. He deals with a broad range of private client matters, including preparing complex Wills and Powers of Attorney, and advising on succession-planning and tax issues involving high net worth individuals, planning for claims for legal rights, disabled beneficiaries and mitigating exposure to inheritance tax and capital gains tax. He regularly undertakes guardianship applications for incapable adults in a number of Sheriff Courts across the country and prepares financial suitability reports required by other firms of solicitors in their own applications. He advises on issues involving trusts, including the creation, amendment and dissolution of charities, as well as the use of trusts for asset protection or wealth management within families.
Stewart is a tutor on the Diploma in Professional Legal Practice at the University of Edinburgh, where he teaches in the core Private Client module. He has previously tutored on the Diploma at the University of Dundee, where he also taught on the Advanced Private Client elective and acted as joint module coordinator. He is also the examiner and manual-editor for the Trusts Law and Practice module for the STEP Diploma in Scotland.
Stewart sits on the Board of Governors for the Dean & Cauvin Young People’s Trust, which is Edinburgh’s oldest charity.
- Providing succession and lifetime financial planning advice to a broad range of clients
- Helping the families of adults with incapacity through the difficult process of having guardians appointed
- Working on the reorganisation of registered charities and educational endowments
- Speaking at a variety of seminars for local and national organisations such as the Law Society and the Society of Law Accountants in Scotland
- Running information sessions on incapacity and guardianship issues for persons with disabilities and their families
- Writer to the Signet
- Notary Public
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Tutor on the Diploma in Legal Practice at the University of Edinburgh, where he teaches in the core Private Client module. He has previously taught on the Private Client and Advanced Private Client modules of the Diploma in Legal Practice at the University of Dundee.
- Course Examiner for the Trusts: Law and Practice module of the STEP Diploma in Trusts and Estates - Scotland
- Previously a trustee at the charities Helm Training and the Dundee Blind and Partially Sighted Society
- Clerk to the Fraternity of Masters and Seamen of Dundee