12th November 2020

Can I object to a neighbour’s proposed extension?

As part of the planning process neighbours living near a property being developed will receive official notification of the application for planning permission which has been received by the local authority.  You may need to go online or visit the Council’s offices to get further details of the proposed development.  There are strict time limits within which any objections must be lodged so you need to act quickly.

In the first case you might want to try discussing matters direct with your neighbour to explain your concerns and see if it is possible to agree on a compromise.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue you can object to a planning application by raising your concerns with the local authority.  It is important to remember that the planning officers and planning committee can only take valid planning issues into account when considering the merits of a planning application.

The following will not be taken into account:-

  1. Short term nuisance during the construction process.
  2. A possible reduction in the value of your own property.
  3. The loss of a view.

On the other hand the following are relevant considerations:

  1. Loss of a significant amount of sunlight and/or daylight.
  2. Positioning of windows in the extension which would result in you feeling overlooked and causing a loss of privacy.
  3. Feeling a greater sense of enclosure in your own property because of the close proximity and height of the extension.
  4. Extension too large given the size of the original property.
  5. Design out of keeping with the original property or the wider neighbourhood.

Additional grounds may be raised if the property is a listed building or located in a conservation area.

If you feel that some or all of these would arise from the proposed extension, they are material considerations in the determination of an application.  You should write to the case officer explaining your concerns about the proposal and the impact you feel it would have on your property. You may also want to seek the advice of your local councillor or a solicitor specialising in planning law.

Katharine Smith, Director
Blackadders LLP





The opinions expressed in this blog are of the author only and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Blackadders LLP.

Blackadders takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the content of this blog is accurate and up to date. The blog is not, however, intended as a substitute for seeking legal or other professional advice but rather as an informative guide to the services provided by Blackadders and topical legal developments. Blog users should always seek advice tailored to their specific situation. Consequently, Blackadders accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage suffered by anyone acting or failing to act on the basis of information contained on this blog. Downloading of material contained on this site is at the user’s own risk and all necessary virus checks must first be carried out by the user. Blackadders is not responsible for the material found on any web sites linked to this one and links to this site may only be made with Blackadders prior consent.


Blackadders owns the copyright in this blog and all material contained on it. The material on this blog may be downloaded for personal use only and must not be altered. Otherwise, Blackadders’ written consent is required before any material on this site is reproduced, copied or transmitted in any way.

Privacy Statement

Information passed to us via this blog is kept confidential and will not be disclosed to third parties except if authorised by you or required by law.

© Blackadders LLP 2020

Members of the Law Society of Scotland.

Blackadders Solicitors is a trading name of Blackadders LLP, a limited liability partnership, registered in Scotland No SO301600 whose registered office is 30 & 34 Reform Street, Dundee, DD1 1RJ. Reference to a ‘partner’ is to a member of Blackadders LLP.

Back to Blackadders' Property Blog: Covering Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Angus and beyond